Monday, November 23, 2009

Early Impressions: Demon's Souls

When I first played Atlus' Etrian Odyssey, I was full aware going in that the game was meant for purists, for hardcore RPG lovers, for the fiends craving a challenge. It was simple, but difficult, and I liked it for that (as you may have read in an earlier review).

Fastforward to last night (read: really early this morning): I finally cracked open Demon's Souls.

What in the merciful fuck is going on in this game?

I got through the tutorial session okay, in a bit of a blurry haze. At the end, a big burly brute of a beast one-hit killed me. I assumed that was part of the experience, and that it could not be avoided. I know that being dead and a spirit is part of the gameplay, and I, well, I'm not sure, but I think I might still be dead now.

I've just played through the same section of a castle about two dozen times, getting eight to twelve feet further each time. Okay, it's hard, yeah, alright.

But I don't so much feel challenged as I do mentally challenged. I don't know where I supposed to be going, what I'm supposed to be doing (collecting souls, ostensibly?) or how I'm supposed to accomplish anything. All I've been doing is leaving bloodstains everywhere, and getting my ass handed to me by every enemy I encounter.

I wonder, is this the madness that is supposed to ensue when you lose your soul? Being an aimless wanderer trying to fight his way back to some semblance of purpose? A cursory flip through the instruction manual was no help. I can't sell items? Okay. How do I save? I don't know! What the fuck do half these items do? Beats me!

I might not be an expert, but I'd like to think I'm pretty learned in the realm of RPGs. Here's hoping that I will slowly figure out what the fuck is going on in this game and enjoy it on the same terms as everyone else. Because I can only play through the same area another dozen or so more times before I get fed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment